Talk about a yummy dinner perfect for the whole family!
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium shallot (minced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2-3 medium carrots (finely shredded // 1 cup or 110 g as original recipe is written // we use the grater attachment on a food processor)
1 pinch sea salt (plus more to taste)
1 large jar of marinara sauce
1 pinch red pepper flake
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp coconut sugar (for sweetness // plus more to taste // or sub stevia)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup red lentils (rinsed and drained)
2 medium zucchini (rinsed and both ends sliced off)
1. Heat a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, shallot, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly softened and fragrant. Turn down heat if browning.
2. Add carrots and a pinch of salt and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, then add marinara sauce and stir to coat.
3. Add red pepper flake, basil, oregano, coconut sugar, water, and lentils. Increase heat slightly and bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and continue cooking until lentils are tender - stirring occasionally - about 17-20 minutes. Add a bit more water if mixture gets too thick.
4. Once lentils are cooked, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste, coconut sugar for sweetness, red pepper flake for heat, or herbs for flavor balance. While the sauce is cooking, spiralize your zucchini into noodles using a tool such as this or this. Alternatively,you can use a mandolin or vegetable peeler, or simply cook up your favorite pasta.
5. Serve the pasta over noodles of choice (I opted for raw zucchini noodles - so good!) and garnish with desired toppings - I prefer Vegan Parmesan Cheese and red pepper flake.
6. Sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer 1 month.
(picture is an example only)