Sony held the Playstation reveal event this morning and while we knew that we would be getting a good look at some games that would be coming out on the new system we were hoping that we'd also get a glimpse at the system itself.
We were not disappointed.
The machine has been described online already as looking like a WifI Router, but it's much more than that.
The sleek sporty stylish look is like nothing we've seen in video game consoles before. The use of white and black with a blue light we've seen previously with the much talked about new controller the DualSense. But that design is not new either, we'd seen a similar combination when PlayStation released their VR headset.
Sony said “With PlayStation 5, we are making a significant leap to deliver a truly new generation of transformative play experiences that will redefine expectations for what games can be,” said Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SIE. “Worlds will be richer and more beautiful, they’ll captivate your senses in ways you didn’t think possible, and you’ll be able to experience them much more seamlessly, with lightning fast loading. Today’s showcase is just a glimpse of what’s to come in the next generation, and we want to thank our community for taking this journey to PS5’s launch with us.”
PS5 will come in two different models as well, one which includes the drive to play physical games and your favourite Blu-rays in 4k and another digital-only version that is a bit slimmer.
Releasing both at the same time will be a good test of the market for shifting to a digital-only format. The price point of the console will also be dramatically affected.
SIE also announced a slate of new PS5 accessories to enhance the gaming experience, including:
- PULSE 3D™ wireless headset – offering 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones;
- HD Camera – featuring dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments;
- Media Remote – a remote control with built-in microphone to navigate movies and streaming services with ease; and
- DualSense™ Charging Station – for convenient charging of two DualSense™ Wireless Controllers.
SIE will announce pricing and additional details for PlayStation 5 at a later date.
The video demonstrations also show some amazing uses of the power of the Playstation 5 while in-game.
Some of the games that really stood out were
The return of racing in Gran Turismo 7
Marvel's Spider-Man: Mile Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Horizon: Forbidden West
Little Devil Inside
Resident Evil Village
There were so many games crammed into the hour-long presentation and lots of them are exclusive to the PlayStation 5
to give you an idea, here is the full list
PS5 Games from SIE Worldwide Studios and second-party partners
- Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio)
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio)
- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV)
- Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital)
- Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games)
- Returnal (Housemarque / XDEV)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV)
PS5 Games from third-party publishers and developers
- Bugsnax (Young Horses)
- DEATHLOOP (Bethesda)
- Ghostwire™: Tokyo (Bethesda)
- Godfall™ (Gearbox Publishing / Counterplay Games)
- Goodbye Volcano High (KO-OP)
- Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar Games)
- HITMAN 3 (IO Interactive)
- JETT : The Far Shore® (Superbrothers)
- Kena: Bridge of the Spirits (Ember Lab)
- Little Devil Inside (Neostream Interactive)
- NBA 2K21 (2K, Visual Concepts)
- Oddworld Soulstorm™ (Oddworld Inhabitants™)
- Pragmata (Capcom)
- Project Athia* (Square Enix/Luminous Productions)
- Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
- Solar Ash (Annapurna Interactive / Heart Machine)
- Stray (Annapurna / Blue Twelve Studio)
- Tribes of Midgard (Gearbox Publishing / Norsfell)
- The Pathless (Annapurna Interactive / Giant Squid)
Watch the full presentation here: