By Albert kok - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0
An anti-whaling group has condemned comments from a Wide Bay federal MP calling for a shark cull.
Government authorities will meet in the Whitsundays on Friday to discuss shark management strategies.
It comes after three people were bitten by sharks at Cid Harbour since September, including a fatal attack earlier this week.
But a Bundaberg federal MP wants a cull.
Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt said fishermen are telling him sharks are in plague proportions.
"We control the fish management numbers, we control prawn numbers, we should control shark numbers like we do with everything else," he said.
But Jonathan Clark from Sea Shepherd said science shows it doesn't help.
"It's well established that culling sharks certainly isn't going to make anybody safer," he said.
The State Government insists drumlines and culls are not the way to halt shark attacks.
One of the main arguments against is that there is a healthy supply of bait fish in Cid Harbour and the sharks may not take the bait.
Facebook Michelle Price