UPDATE 8:30AM 10/9/19 | Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) crews are currently monitoring a bushfire burning near Buxton Road, Buxton.
This fire has been contained and is posing no threat to property at this time.
Firefighters will continue to monitor the blaze throughout the day.
Nearby areas may be affected by a smoke haze throughout the day.
Residents are asked to close windows and doors and if suffering from a respiratory condition, keep medications close by.
Motorists should drive with caution and to conditions. If residents are concerned their property is under threat they are advised to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
STAY INFORMED | A bushfire is alight in Buxton, near Burrum Heads.
The QFES advises that you need to keep up to date and decide what actions you will take if the situation changes.
Currently as at 6pm, Monday 9 Sept, a bushfire is burning on Buxton Road, travelling in a north easterly direction.
Firefighters are working to contain the fire. People in the area will be affected by smoke, which will reduce visibility and air quality.
Call Triple Zero (000) immediately if you believe you or your property is under threat.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
• Listen to your local radio station or visit the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website for regular updates.
• If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now and be ready to follow it.
• If you do not have a bushfire survival plan, or if your plan is to leave, identify where you will go if the situation changes.
• Close windows and doors to minimise smoke exposure.
• If you suffer from a respiratory condition, keep your medication close by.
• Drive with caution in low visibility conditions.
• Contact your neighbours to see if they need help preparing for the bushfire.
• Consider finding your essential items (e.g., identification documents, prescription medication, food and water, and protective clothing such as a long-sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, and boots) in case you need to leave.
• Consider what you will do to protect your pets and livestock.
• Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
• Advise family and friends of your intended actions if the situation changes.
KEEP UP TO DATE BY:
• Following QFES on Facebook (@QldFireandRescueService) and Twitter (@QldFES)
• Staying tuned to your local radio station. Find your local ABC radio station at https://radio.abc.net.au/help/offline and your local commercial radio station at http://www.commercialradio.com.au/find-a-station/queensland;
• Visiting the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map
• For bushfire preparation tips, visit the RFS website: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/BushFire_Safety
• For information about road closures, call 13 19 40 or visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au
The next update will be provided when the situation changes.