A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for giant hailstones, damaging winds, and heavy rainfall has been issued for people in Capricornia and parts of Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett and Maranoa and Warrego Forecast Districts.
Several surface troughs are extending over Queensland from a low pressure system over NW Victoria.
These troughs are drawing warm, humid air over eastern Queensland leading to favourable conditions for severe thunderstorms.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large, possibly giant hailstones, damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Roma, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Biloela, Yeppoon, Calliope, Gin Gin and Mount Morgan.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500